Personal Data: Nationality: Swiss; Permanent Resident: Trinidad & Tobago
Married, with two children
Address: North Silva Terrace, Unit 1, Saddle Road, Port-of-Spain
e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org – tel: (868) 686 7070
Academic Background: M.A. in Law, University of Fribourg, Switzerland (1965).
PHD International Relations, Graduate Institute of
International Studies, University of Geneva, 1972
Current Occupation: Glocal Development Consulting: Globally connected
Senior Teaching Fellow, Institute of International Relations,
University of the West Indies,
2011 – 2013 Foreign Policy Consultant, Minister of Foreign Affairs, Trinidad & Tobago
2004 – 2006 Head of the Sub-Regional Office of the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC), with responsibility for the CARICOM Region.
2002 – 2013 Lecturer, Institute of International Relations, University of the West Indies, Seminar on “Sustainable Development and Human Rights through the United Nations.”
1998 – 2002 UNDP Resident Representative and UN System Resident Coordinator;
With responsibilities for Trinidad and Tobago, Suriname, Netherlands Antilles and Aruba
1989 – 1997 Director of the Training Department, International Training Centre of the ILO, Turin (Italy):
In this capacity, managed a large Programme of activities designed for all the major regions of the world in the area of HRD, learning, training and, more generally, in support of economic, social and sustainable human development and human rights.
1994 – 1997 (concurrently) 1st Director of the United Nations Staff College (UNSSC):
In this capacity, developed the Staff College Concept, designed and managed a series of UN system-wide training and learning activities for senior UN System Staff and National Counterparts on the Campus of the International Training Centre of the ILO, Turin, Italy.
1983 – 1989: United Nations Institute for Training and Research (UNITAR), New York:
In this capacity, was responsible for UNITAR’s Programme in multilateral Diplomacy, international co-operation and international human rights law, working with developing countries in strengthening their foreign relations capabilities.
1981 – 82: Training Specialist, World Bank, Washington D.C. In this capacity, developed and implemented a large number of technical/professional training & learning Programmes for World Bank Staff.
1976 – 81: Chief, European Office of UNITAR, Geneva: In this capacity, directed UNITAR’s activities in Europe and acted as liaison with the UN and specialised agencies and other Europe-based international organisations.
1974 – 76: Head, UNITAR’s International Law Programme, New York: In this capacity, organised and conducted training programmes for government legal advisers and university professors in the various developing regions.
1972 – 74: Lecturer, Institute of International Relations, University of the West Indies, Trinidad & Tobago: In this capacity, participated in the Swiss sponsored project on the development of the Graduate International Relations Institute for the Caribbean Region, University of the West Indies, Trinidad Campus
1969 – 70: Assistant to the Director, Public Health Policies, SANDOZ. S.A., (Basel):
1966 – 69: Research Associate and Assistant Lecturer, Graduate Institute of International Studies, University of Geneva.
- “Calypso for Africa Inc. New York” (1986);
- “Sunshine Awards” 1989 – Present, New York;
- “Vision on Mission” 2008 – 2010, Trinidad & Tobago
- “ETeck: Evolving Technologies and Enterprise Development” 2010 –
Areas of Expertise:
- International Affairs, diplomacy and global governance
- International development issues and law of development
- Human Rights and humanitarian affairs
- Multilateral diplomacy & sustainable human development, Cultural Diplomacy
- HRD, training and adult education
- German (mother tongue)
- English and French (fluent)
- Italian (fair)
Publications: See List of publications attached.
Hans J. Geiser
List of Publications
- Legal Problems of Caribbean Integration: A Study on the Legal Aspects of CARICOM, Sijthoff, Leyden and Institute of International Relations, Trinidad and Tobago, 1976, p. 275. (Together with Pamela Alleyne and Carroll Gajraj).
- Les effets des accords conclus par les organisations internationales, Etude en droit des traités des organisations internationales à la lumière de la Convention de Vienne de 1969. Herbert Lang, Bern and Frankfurt, 1977, p. 270.
- Répertoire de documents de la Court de La Haye, Série I. 1922/1945, Vol. III, together with L. Caflish, H. Reimann, Ch. Verdon, IUHEI, Geneva, 1973, p. 790.
- Contributed to: A Digest of the Decisions of the International Court of Justice, Vol. I (Permanent Court of International Justice), and Vol. II (International Court of Justice), ed. K. Marek, Nijhoff, The Hague, 1975.
- Youth at Risk, Trinidad & Tobago National Human Development Report 2000, editor, United Nations De4velopment Programme, 2001, p.91
- Implementing Human Rights in the Caribbean: Globalisation and the Universal System of Human Rights. Business Journal, (on line), Second edition, September 2009
- Sustainable Development from a Human Rights Perspective and the Challenges it represents for the Caribbean SIDS. Economic Commission for Latin America and the Caribbean, UN/ECLAC Publication, 2010, p. 55
- Size, Vulnerability and Access to Development Funds – “Walking the Talk” in: Size,
- Power and Development in the Emerging World Order – Caribbean Perspectives.
- Ed.Ramesh Ramsaran, Lexicon Trinidad Ltd., Trinidad & Tobago, 2006, pp. 439-444
- Regional Integration in the Commonwealth Caribbean, Journal of World Trade Law, Vol. 10, No. 6, 1976, pp. 546-565.
- CARIFTA-CARICOM, Some Legal Aspects of Caribbean Economic Integration, News Bulletin, Antigua Chamber of Commerce, (29) October 1973, pp. 3-11.
- The Lomé Convention and Caribbean Integration: A First Assessment, The Caribbean Yearbook of International Relations, ed. Leslie F. Manigat, A.W. Sijthoff/Leyden and I.I.R. – U.W.I./Trinidad and Tobago. pp. 330-354.
- La integración regional entre los paises en desarrollo: el caso de la Commonwealth de Caribe, La Revista de la Integración, INTAL, Buenos Aires, No. 21, 1976, pp. 87-107.
- Research and Training in the Caribbean: A UNITAR Inquiry. Caribbean Studies Association, Second Conference, Castries, St. Lucia, January 1976, p. 11.
- New International Economic Order: Its Impact on the Evolution of International Law, Annals of International Studies, Geneva, 1978, pp. 89-106.
- Das System der Vereinten Nationen, Seminar über die internationalen Organisationen, Nationale Schweizerische UNESCO Kommission, Bern, 1979, pp. 7-20.
- Un nuevo orden económico internacional: sus repercusiones en la evolución del derecho internacional, Integración latino-americana, No. 35, INTAL, Buenos Aires, May 1979, pp. 21-31.
- Training Needs for Diplomats and Delegates to the United Nations. Paper presented at the Annual Meeting of the Caribbean Studies Association, Santo Domingo, May 1983, 10 p.
- World Bank Staff Training in Institution Building. A position paper, Washington, 1982, 21 p.
- Training Proposal for the Establishment of an International Relations Programme at the University of the South Pacific, UNITAR, 1984, 18 p.
- Strengthening the Foreign Relations Capabilities of the Sultanate of Oman. A Training Proposal, UNITAR, 1986, 22 p. (available in English and Arabic).
- Diplomacy Development for the Government of Kenya, A UNITAR/UNDP Project Plan, Nairobi, 1984, 120 p.